If you are going to sell your old PC, then you should consider some essential things before handing it to the second party. How can you sell your old PC at its maximum value to afford a brand new powerful PC? You should make sure that all parts and components are working correctly to get the right price. Keep your old device in good condition and also make sure that your sensitive and private data should be removed entirely from the device at the time of selling.
How to prepare a PC for selling?
If you want good money in the return of your PC then you should make sure of these things:
- Take a complete backup of your precious data.
- Wiping the storage.
- Selling your old computer.
Take a backup of your precious data
Backup your entire system and files and it can help you to access your current system and files even in your new PC. There are various methods to take a complete backup of your system. Follow the below instructions to take a quick and complete backup:
- Navigate to the Control Panel on your PC.
- Select the System and Security.
- Tap on Backup and Restore option. ( for Windows 7)
- On your left bar, click the “Create a system image” option.
- Now a tab “Where do you want to save the backup” will open, choose the ‘On a hard disk’ option.
- Now select the locations where you will keep the backup files. (Choose an external hard drive or a pen drive while deciding a location for backup files).
- Hit the Next button.
- Choose the drives which contain your data.
- Click on ‘Next.’
- Now press the Start backup button to begin the process.
When the process completes, safely remove your external USB storage. You can use those backup files to restore your old PC files in your new one.
Wiping Up Your Hard Disk
Now to enhance security and privacy, you have to clean your hard drive entirely. By performing this step, you can leave any worries related to your privacy. It will wipe your photos, videos, and documents from your old PC. To get started, follow the guide below:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap the “Update and Security” option.
- Hit the Recovery tab from the left navigation pane.
- Tap on the Get started button.
- Choose to Remove everything option.
- After that, tap Change settings.
- Make sure that you turn on the “Data erasure” switch.
- Hit Confirm.
- Now click the next button at the bottom.
- Finally, hit the Reset button.
Finally, You Can Sell Your Old PC Safely
It’s time to get money for your laptop or desktop. Thoroughly clean your PC and vacuum the CPU if you have a desktop because it has been noted that some technical buyers also check what’s inside your CPU. When a buyer comes, always tell the advantages of the old PC and never highlight the cons.
You can use eBay, Craigslist and other websites to sell your used PC.
Dave Hogan is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.